Juneau was well represented during the running of this year’s Klondike Trail of ‘98 International Road Relay.
A total of 49 teams from the capital city ran or walked in this year’s event, which attracted over 1,700 runners.
The Juneau teams of “Team 8”, “Thibodeaus and Friends Unite”, “C.C. Striders” and “Ambiguous Fantasy: Cats on Broadway” had four of the top-20 race times of the weekend.
Juneau’s “Team 8” took second place in the Open category out of 53 teams. The team of Juneau Trail and Road Running regulars finished the race in 12 hours, 12 minutes, 44 seconds. The “C.C. Striders” was fifth in the same category.
“Broken Tooth - TNP,” of Anchorage, took first and had the fastest time of anybody with an 11:35:35.
“Thibodeaus and Friends Unite” finished third out of 47 teams in the Mixed category. “Ambiguous Fantasy: Cats on Broadway” placed two spots behind them for fifth place.
“The Devil’s Club Divas,” “Easier Said Than Run” and “Slomo Sapiens” were some of the other creative team names to come out of Juneau.
The Metcalfes and Friends, which the Empire featured in an article earlier this month, had perhaps the largest age range of any team. Their youngest runner, 13-year-old Lindsay McTague, started the race out of Skagway on Friday evening. Almost 20 hours to the second later, 70-year-old Michael Fleishchhauer finished the relay in Whitehorse amid throngs of cheering runners.
“It does feel like the ‘glory leg.’ I know why they say that,” Fleishhauer said of Leg 10. “You got all these people out there cheering for you, the whole team is standing at the end of the line going, ‘Michael, way to go!’ and high-fiving and they’re all taking pictures. Ahh, pretty wild.”
Top 3 Results by Category
1. Broken Tooth - TNP, Anchorage, 11:35:35
2. Team 8 (Matt Callahan, Jonathan Wood, Joshua Musson, Jesse Stringer, Bryce Iverson, John Nagel, Hiram Henry, Rob Swanson, Justin Dorn), Juneau, 12:12:44
3. Wu-Tang Clan, Whitehorse, 12:29:56
1. TMP, Anchorage, 14:13:57
2. Babes on the Run, Whitehorse, 15:26:07
3. Winterloooooong, Whitehorse, 16:10:05
1. Running Home to Yukon Brewing, Whitehorse, 12:43:29
2. The Rats, Anchorage, 13:45:00
3. Thibodeaus and Friends Unite (Nicholas Thibodeau, Elisha Thibodeau, Matthew Thibodeau, Sage Thibodeau, Gregory Frank, Seth Tucker, Mackenzie Slater, Tyler Hennon, Nina Schwinghammer, Jordan Moser), Juneau, 13:56:12
1. Shier Law Runners, Whitehorse, 13:40:31
1. Quantum Running Machines, Whitehorse, 15:29:01
2. Glacial Erratics (Lois Verbann, Lorrie Greer, Gina Adams, Jo Ann Day, Lisa Kirsch, Kathy Coghill, Laura Eakes, Suzanne McGee, Heidi Allison, Adelaide Johnson), Juneau, 16:39:46
3. Crow’s Feet, Anchorage, 17:58:34
1. The Classics, Anchorage, 15:31:06
2. The New Thirty, Whitehorse, 19:26:15
1. T.E.B., Anchorage, 14:14:39
2. Alaska Excursions, Skagway, 14:56:06
3. Whitehorse Fire Department, Whitehorse, 15:47:10
Walkers (7-10 Legs)
1. Slowly Heading North, Whitehorse, 9:23:32
2. Finance Chicks, Whitehorse, 9:56:35
3. Class ACTS (Sunny Haight, Cathy Botelho, Jocelyn Cayce, Auriel Clark), Juneau, 10:32:15
Walkers (7a-10b Legs)
1. 16 Legs A’Walkin, Whitehorse, 10:15:39
2. All Girls and a Guy, Whitehorse, 10:31:22
3. May The Firth Be With You, Whitehorse, 10:57:33
Youth (7a-10b Legs)
1. Buffolo bill and the funky bunch, Whitehorse, 5:40:34
2. Road Hogs (Riley Duncan, Maisy Morley, Will Robinson, Matthias Carney, Eli Crupi, Finn Kesey, Caden Mesdag, Kean Buss), Juneau, 5:50:12
3. Out Chasing Booty, Whitehorse, 5:53:24
1. The Kovacs Kid (Nicole Kovacs), Skagway, 8:39:10
• Contact reporter Nolin Ainsworth at 523-2272 or firstname.lastname@example.org.