History of Treadwell Ditch Trail subject of Saturday lecture

Harry F. Snyder Photograph Collection: Treadwell, Alaska, 1916-1918. ASL-PCA-38

When it was still in operation, the famed Treadwell Mine depended on water sourced from a miles-long ditch cut into the Douglas mountainside. After falling out of use in when the mine shut in the early 1900s, that ditch was revamped into a popular 14-mile trail spanning from south Douglas to North Douglas.

The Treadwell Ditch Trail, as it’s now known, is one of the only flat lengthy hiking trails in the Juneau area. It’s undergoing a few upgrades in the next several years. New bridges have been installed and sections of the trial will be revamped for safety and ease of access.

A Saturday lecture and fundraiser at the University of Alaska Southeast will help local nonprofit Trail Mix Inc. in its efforts to revamp local trails. Local historian Jim Geraghty and Trail Mix Executive Director Erik Boraas will tell the Treadwell Ditch Trail’s story at a lecture titled “Treadwell Ditch & Trail — Past, Present & Future” Saturday at the UAS Egan Lecture Hall at 7 p.m.

Tickets to the talk cost $20.


  • Switchboard: 907-586-3740
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-586-3740
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Business Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-523-2230
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback






High fecal bacteria sample close Twin Lakes for swimming

High levels of unsafe bacteria in Twin Lakes is closing the recreational spot for swimming.

Read more